Thought I could get the two Motor mount stringers finished in an hour. It took 3 hours of continuous work, But everything is drilled and fit to the final size.
remade the lower motor mount bracket. The first time I tried I had a dull bandsaw blade, and the right blade wasn’t available locally. Ended up using a jig saw and cut to deep. Had to order bandsaw blades on amazon.
It came out pretty nice. However I did spend about 2.5 hours making it and starting the fit up. Next up is figuring out how to make the bottom stringer.
took the afternoon off work for my mental health. Drilled out the rest of the hole to #30 size, put in a few temporary rivets and removed the alignment beam. I’ll be taking this weekend off of building most likely. Also, I fit. However I’ll have to go with the hand brake option.
over the past week I’ve trimmed, deburred, primed, and riveted into place the c to d skin. Side rails and top motor mount. I’ve also taken care of priming the lower half of the forward fuselage skins. Only took one picture it’s not ver good as I was in a rush to get home. I’ll add more later this week.
A bit more backdrilling today and I made some strips to sandwich between the firewall. Weather is too cold to prime anything so I’ll just keep working on a few odds and ends till it warms up.
my better half helped me get some holes drilled in the forward fuselage today. Getting closer to to pulling it apart to prime and deburr
back drilled the rest of the holes needs for c to b skin. Started fitting skin a to b. Clamps and Cleo’s in place. It’s a bit difficult to work on this section alone. I’ll enlist the help of my better and shorter half. The angles on the front of the firewall are temporary to help stiffen it during construction.
After the skins are drilled it’ll be time to start disassembly so I can dimple countersink trim and deburr prior to riveting.
Made templates with clear Mylar for the new fuselage skins and cut them out. Also cut the metal for both and attached c to b skins temporarily.
fit the new bulkhead. I was able to get it into place and cut the lower motor mount braces, front bottom stringer, gussets, and a couple brackets in about an hour as well as get most of the bends complete. The shear is an amazing tool to have.
i also ordered some more .025 alclad sheet for the skins and clear Mylar for pattern making. I’m sort of up a creek this week until more metal arrives so I’ll try to get brackets made and start on the wing rib blanks.
remade bulkhead b. It is a bit too short in the plans. So I extended it .25 inches below the centerline. As of 12/24/17 it has been fit up and fits perfectly. The .25 inches is not some arbitrary number. It was measured in CAD after I saw the issue in the build.
the only problem now is I will have to remake the b to c skin since I didn’t notice the issue until after I cut it out.