Decided to order replacement heads On Tuesday from greatplains aircraft supply. I called and told him what I needed and placed the order online. Should take about two weeks. I’ll have this set of heads reworked next year..
Got the plane back together and ran it. Ran great compared to before. Then did the differential pressure test three of four exhaust valves were not seating properly. Clearance was correct. So we pulled the heads and all the valves. It’s gonna need a valve job. The were all pretty pitted. However cylinder 1 was 79/80.
so now I’m deciding what I want to do. Either get a new set of heads or have these fixed, maybe both...
either way firewall forward is much better, and my static rpm is a bit higher.
Almost done. Just have to put the magneto back on and make a oil hose since we relocated the transducer. It really hasn’t mattered that the plane has been down so long. Weather has been crap.
Pulled the cylinders, had a look in the engine. We were very pleased, no corrosion or pitting on the cam or crank. Pistons and rings look good. So we cleaned everything up and put the cylinders pushrod tubes and head back on. Took about 3.5 hours taking our time prepping.
a few more hours to button everything back up and I’ll be flying again.
The head finally arrived! It felt like forever, but did give me an opportunity to take care of quite a few things. A few items are still in Progress though.
Just some notes for myself
So far the conditional found a few things
strobe light out
clean up firewall forward wiring
helicoil came out when pulling spark plug. Had to pull head and attempt to retap. That failed so now I’m having to send the head off. Really getting frustrated now.
magneto cushion needs replaced
new brake pads needed on passenger side.
just a note on the spark plug issue. I think it is my fault. I believe I didn’t put enough anti seize on the plug threads.
I’m still here, just haven’t flown in almost two weeks. It’s time for an annual which we will do tomorrow. Changed oil and adjusted the valves last weekend.
Mixture update, seems to be correct plane is running smooth, plugs look good, and it’s making good power.
Did about 2.5 hours flying on the current mixture. Looks like I get some carbon buildup when I let the engine idle for too long. Pulled the plugs after flying to and from work. Still has a little more carbon buildup than I would like. The egt was still a bit too low so I had a feeling it was slightly too rich. I should be seeing 1250 degrees with a rich mixture. Right now it’s between 1100-1150. Cht is a bit cool too and oil temp is 165. Almost there. I think a 1/8th turn and I should be right where I need to be.
Starting to use the flying adventures blog page as well.