Purchased a Chinese laser cutter last year. Been making all kinds of things with the help of my wife. She did some amazing ornaments. Laser-cut wedding invitations, all sorts of stuff. The things I make are more building and aviation related. So I made some spacers and rivet spaces to help me out while building. Being able to work on things from home should help keep me motivated.
Finally came to the conclusion that no one is going to let me use their tool to cut and bend the spar webs, and the horizontal and vertical stabilizer spar. I got in touch with Terry From Hummel Aviation and he is going to cut and bend them for me. I also decided to have them fabricate the wing ribs for me. All for about $1,000 shipped.Life is strange. When I started this i had more time than money. Now things have flipped the other direction. At least I can buy parts now though, up until 2017 I really had to save to buy a sheet of metal...
Tomorrow I should receive the aluminum angle, 6061t6 sheet, and steel needed for the wing spars. I've already gathered and cut the material needed for the jig. I'll just need to assemble it tomorrow.
A quick note about how over built this airplane is. Terry got with an engineer due to my request and found that 6061t6 is more than strong enough for the spar webs and spars.
remade the lower motor mount bracket. The first time I tried I had a dull bandsaw blade, and the right blade wasn’t available locally. Ended up using a jig saw and cut to deep. Had to order bandsaw blades on amazon.
It came out pretty nice. However I did spend about 2.5 hours making it and starting the fit up. Next up is figuring out how to make the bottom stringer.
took the afternoon off work for my mental health. Drilled out the rest of the hole to #30 size, put in a few temporary rivets and removed the alignment beam. I’ll be taking this weekend off of building most likely. Also, I fit. However I’ll have to go with the hand brake option.
over the past week I’ve trimmed, deburred, primed, and riveted into place the c to d skin. Side rails and top motor mount. I’ve also taken care of priming the lower half of the forward fuselage skins. Only took one picture it’s not ver good as I was in a rush to get home. I’ll add more later this week.
A bit more backdrilling today and I made some strips to sandwich between the firewall. Weather is too cold to prime anything so I’ll just keep working on a few odds and ends till it warms up.
my better half helped me get some holes drilled in the forward fuselage today. Getting closer to to pulling it apart to prime and deburr
back drilled the rest of the holes needs for c to b skin. Started fitting skin a to b. Clamps and Cleo’s in place. It’s a bit difficult to work on this section alone. I’ll enlist the help of my better and shorter half. The angles on the front of the firewall are temporary to help stiffen it during construction.
After the skins are drilled it’ll be time to start disassembly so I can dimple countersink trim and deburr prior to riveting.
Made templates with clear Mylar for the new fuselage skins and cut them out. Also cut the metal for both and attached c to b skins temporarily.